If aging issues, acne, and high exposure to the sun has made the skin annoyed with wrinkles, scars, fine lines, laser skin treatments can rejuvenate the skin to look young and healthy. A laser seems like a magic procedure that can eliminate several imperfections in the skin. This is possible only when the procedure is performed by an experienced and qualified laser practitioner. When tried by an inexperienced and wrong hand it can even damage the skin.
About laser treatment to the skin:
Laser technologies are cleared FDA to treat many skin issues like acne, sun spots, scarring, rosacea, fine lines, reduce pore size, pigmentation, and uneven skin tone. But there should be a clear understanding and knowledge about the working of laser technology to choose the right type of laser and yield positive results. As many companies employ similar laser technologies it is trickier for patients to choose among them. Hence, you have to associate with a reliable laser technology expert to ensure that your issues are treated effectively without any side effects.
Laser treatment procedure:
Laser treatment begins with a clear examination from a plastic surgeon or skin specialist to see if you tick all the boxes to be eligible for the procedure. You must discuss all the medical history with your doctor before beginning the procedure. Laser skin treatments on the face may trigger breakouts in some people with the risk of fever blisters or cold sores. You must take care to follow all the instructions like stopping any supplements before some days of the procedure like Vitamin E, ibuprofen, aspirin that can impact clotting. Smoking has the chance of causing adverse effects. Skin doctors may also prescribe certain antibiotics to avoid bacterial infections and other antiviral medications if you have the risk of fever blisters or cold sores.
What will be important elements to know during and after the Procedure?
- The first thing to take care of is to only consult an expert skin doctor or plastic surgeon. When done properly it will require only a day of stay at the center. They will customize the treatment depending on the factors like skin quality and treatment areas like around the mouth, eyes, or forehead or treating the complete face.
- For small target regions, they will numb the regions to be treated with a local anesthetic and use general anesthesia if the complete face is treated. Treating the face will take only about 30 to 45 minutes and full-face treatments take around a couple of hours.
- After the laser procedure, they will apply a bandage on the treatment region for a day. Once this is removed, you will have to clean the region as per instructions and apply petroleum jelly to avoid the skin from scabbing.
- There will be some amount of swelling after the laser treatment. The doctor will prescribe some medications if the swelling is around the eyes. There may be some amount of itching for a couple of days after the treatment. After a week from the procedure, the skin will be converting to dry and peel off.
- Healing will take around 10 to 21 days depending on the type of problem that is treated. As the skin is healed completely, you can start wearing oil-free makeup to eliminate the redness that generally fades in 2 to 3 months.
Results of the laser treatment vary relying on the type of technology and final desire of the results. Different types of issues will need a different number and type of treatment to achieve the desired results. There are different types of laser technologies like IPL, Halo resurfacing, Fraxel, etc. Some may need multiple treatments while others will produce the
results in a smaller number of treatments. But the downtimes of the treatments vary accordingly depending on the type of treatments employed.
Side effects and care:
- The majority of laser treatments will demand some amount of downtime letting the skin recover after the treatment. But the downtime will depend on the aggressiveness and number of treatment sessions. Most aggressive treatments will need around 2weeks to heel while others will heel even quickly.
- It is key to safeguard the skin from the sun rays especially during peak hours, It can be done by wearing protective clothing like a protective hat, fully covered clothes, etc. Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 and above when you are out in the sun.
- It is also important to make use of a moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated. You can start using your supplements or other skincare products as per the instructions of your skin specialist.
Even though lasers seem like harmless and magical devices, they can damage the skin if not handled properly. The minor variations in heat and light make laser very powerful and risky in the hands of an amateur. They must be knowing the exact match between wavelength and energy as it can be vital in providing you the effective results or leading to skin problems. They must adjust the laser to precise settings on your specific skin issues. So, more than the harmful effects of laser, it is the handling of the skin specialist which plays a key role in adjusting the settings. Hence, if you are looking for laser treatment, it is key to look for a qualified skin specialist or plastic-surgeon with exact expertise on the treatment across different issues. A
major percentage of issues in the laser treatments happen due to the inexperience of handlers. People who only have limited knowledge about laser devices or who are still in the way of understanding the process may risk your skin.
Your best bet in treating the skin with advanced laser therapies ends at The Skin Scholar by Lauren Mitschrich. She is passionate to help clients with her vast experience in medical and cosmetic dermatology with a focus to treat men and women of all ages to treat specific skin issues and enhance their self-confidence.