Spider veins are a mild form of varicose veins in which thin red lines or web patterns of blood vessel networks will be formed on the skin surface. They are usually seen on the legs and also on the face leading to awkwardness and annoyance for the victims. With the advancements in medical science, there is some efficient way to treat the issue, and one of the impactful ways being sclerotherapy. But the lack of awareness has given rise to several misconceptions about this treatment of spider veins that can refrain the patients from achieving optimal relief. Continue reading to know some key information about Sclerotherapy and the truth about its uses.
- Sclerotherapy is a type of procedure where a doctor inserts a drug into blood vessels or lymph vessels that leads to its shrinkage. It is usually employed to treat a variety of varicose veins or normally called spider veins.
- This treatment is non-surgical, needing only an injection. It is effective when employed to treat blood and lymph vessel ailments that lead to impairment in these blood vessels.
- In this procedure, a drug called Asclera (polidocanol) is then injected into it, to eliminate undesirable spider veins and telangiectasias. This drug is a sclerosing agent and functions by enhancing the development of blood clots and scar tissue inside the veins. This aids to reduce the dilation of inflamed superficial veins on the legs fading their visibility. In the majority of successful cases, the veins transform into scars and get absorbed by the body.
- The drug is inserted into the veins through tiny needles and the total number of injections varies with the number of veins that are treated. Many advanced devices negate the feeling of discomfort during the treatment. Your experts may suggest the usage of a compression dressing to increase the effectiveness of the result, A series of results are generally required to get optimal outcomes.
- The results are usually seen during the initial 3 months after the procedure. A series of treatments is usually needed and can be performed with a four to six weeks gap in between every session. Patients will be suggested to go for follow-up treatment as per their schedules.
- There are no harsh side effects from sclerotherapy and the patients tend to recover within some days. The skin may show some signs of bruising that will fade off in a week. Patients are asked to stay away from any energetic tasks during the initial week. Usage of medical compression socks or tights after the treatment for 1 week will help offer efficient outcomes.
- The procedure does not typically require anesthesia or any extra preparation. Patients must precisely follow some minimal doctor’s instructions like avoiding certain medications or skin oils before the treatment for enhancing the outcome of the result.
- The treatment begins by making the patient lie on their back with legs up position. The doctor will clean the region and insert a tiny needle into the vein causing a minor pinching feel. The doctor will employ the vein with the precise irritating solution. There will light amount of tingling, burning sensation, and some patients will feel nothing at all.
- After the completion of the procedure, the doctor will massage the region to avoid the chances of re-entry of the blood to the region. This person may require wearing compression stockings or pads in the region as per expert advice.
- Patients will be asked to stay active for avoiding the formation of any blood clots. They will also require refraining from direct sunlight that may lead to dark spots in the region.
Who are ideal for the procedure?
An important thing to keep in mind for taking the sclerotherapy treatment for spider vein condition is their eligibility. Patients must discuss their issues, symptoms, and the suitability of the treatment with the expert. After analyzing all the issues, doctors will suggest if you are the ideal candidate to receive the treatment. If the veins are visible largely due to the issues caused by their appearance, then you may take a call to receive the treatment. The choice of taking the treatment is completely optional if the issue is only cosmetic and not causing any physical discomfort. The treatment is highly suggested for people when they are facing issues like:
- Increasing pain or discomfort from the vein
- Heaviness or sore feeling in the legs.
- Patchy or dry skin
- The appearance of rashes in the region.
Is the Sclerotherapy treatment safe?
- Sclerotherapy is a safe treatment with a high percentage of successful results. This treatment is a transparent option with FDA approval for administered injectable solutions. Most treatments will require only 2 to 3 half-hour sessions in the hygienic and hospital setting, relying on the total number of veins treated. During every session, the patient will direct the doctor about the removal of specific veins to aid the movement. The treatment is typically done in an outpatient setting without any complications.
- The injections make use of a tiny needle and patients will only experience minor discomfort. After the treatment is done, you may go back to your routine activities on the same day after the procedure with some precautionary measures to be followed. This will ensure that patients will not experience any side effects and enhance the efficiency of the injections.
- Sclerotherapy is a good solution for people suffering from the issue of spider veins except for women who are pregnant or nursing. It also safer for patients with the issue of hypertension or blood circulation problems as the procedure targets the superficial veins inside the skin than the deep veins that are present inside the muscle.
Your best selection in treating the skin with cutting-edge laser therapies ends at The Skin Scholar by Lauren Mitschrich. She is an experienced professional in the field of cosmetic and medical dermatology and has the ability for individuals of all ages to treat and resolve precise skin issues.